Prof. Junhao Lin was born in 1986 and got his Ph.D. in Vanderbilt University, Tennessee, USA in 2015. His Ph.D. thesis was conducted in Oak Ridge National Lab, USA, under the supervision of Dr. Wu Zhou (experimental) and Prof. Sokrates Pantelides (theoretical). He investigated the correlations between the atomic structure and the property of two-dimension (2D) materials through the synergetic combination of experiment and theory，including high resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy and first principle density functional theory calculations. He was awarded the JSPS fellowship after graduation and joined the Electron Microscopy Group in National Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Japan for his postdoctoral research, as hosted by Dr. Kazu Suenaga. His postdoctoral work mainly includes the in-situ atomic characterizations of the phase transition in 2D materials under high/low temperature, and the exploration of the optical property on a single atom level via high energy resolution electron energy loss spectroscopy. Prof. Junhao Lin has an academic background in both experiment and theory, where he synergistically combines each other to study various complex defect structures in numerous emerging 2D materials. Combing the atomic resolution imaging and theoretical calculations, he demonstrated the formation mechanism of various defects, and proposed that the atomic structure of some defects can be engineered to improve the performance of the material. These works are of essential importance to the electronic and optoelectronic applications of 2D materials. So far, Prof. Junhao Lin has published more than 40 papers as first (co-first) and correspondence author in various high impact journals, including Nature, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Materials, Nano Letters, PRL, Advanced Materials, ACS Nano and etc., total citations exceeding 2200, H index 19. He joined Southern University of Science and Technology in 2018 as an associate professor.
1. Aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) and related imaging techniques
2. Structure-property correlations of defects in novel 2D materials
3. Dynamical high resolution in-situ characterization of defect evolution in 2D materials under external excitations.
4. High energy resolution electron energy loss spectroscopy and its application in characterizing the optical properties in 2D materials.
2010-2015, Vanderbilt University, Ph.D.
2005-2009, Southern China University of Technology, B.S.
2018.5-present, Southern University of Science and Technology, Associate Professor
2015.10-2018.5, National Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, JSPS fellow
Honors & Awards
2016 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers, Japan
2015 UT-Battelle Award Night Graduate Student Researcher, Oak Ridge National Lab, USA
2015 Presidential Scholar Award, Microscopy & Microanalysis Conference, USA
2015 Most Outstanding Student Publication Award, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Vanderbilt University
2014 Graduate Student Silver Award, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA
2014 Award Finalist (Category: IT Hardware), World Technology Awards and Summit, New York City, NY
2011 Robert T. Lagemann Award for the most outstanding 1st year graduate student, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Vanderbilt University
I have published more than 40 papers in various high impact journals and co-authored a book chapter with Prof. Wu Zhou on Defects in 2D materials. The following list only displays the important work published in the recent years. For a detailed list of publication please see my google scholar or Researcher ID (link attached).
Equal contributors denoted with †. Corresponding author denoted with*. High impact journals are highlighted in red.
1. A library of atomcally-thin metal chalcogenides
Jiadong Zhou†, Junhao Lin†*, Xiangwei Huang, Yao Zhou, Yu Chen, Juan Xia, Hong Wang, Yu Xie, Huimei Yu, Jincheng Lei, Di Wu, Fucai Liu, Qundong Fu, Qingsheng Zeng, Chuang-Han Hsu, Changli Yang, Li Lu, Ting Yu, Zexiang Shen, Hsin Lin, Boris I. Yakobson, Qian Liu, Kazu Suenaga, Guangtong Liu* and Zheng Liu*
Nature, 556, 355 (2018)
2. Electron-beam-induced synthesis of hexagonal 1H-MoSe2 from square β-FeSe decorated with Mo adatoms
John A. Brehm†*, Junhao Lin†*, Jiadong Zhou, Hunter Sims, Zheng Liu, Sokrates T. Pantelides and Kazu Suenaga
Nano Letters, 18, 2016 (2018)
3. Anisotropic ordering in 1T′molybdenum and tungsten ditelluride layers alloyed with sulphur and selenium
Junhao Lin*, Jiadong Zhou, Sebastian Zuluaga, Peng Yu, Meng Gu, Zheng Liu, Sokrates T. Pantelides, and Kazu Suenaga
ACS Nano, 12, 894 (2018)
4. High-quality monolayer superconductor NbSe2 grown by chemical vapour deposition
Hong Wang†, Xiangwei Huang†, Junhao Lin†, Yu Chen, Jian Cui, Chao Zhu, Qingsheng Zeng, Jiadong Zhou, Fucai Liu, Peng Yu, Xuewen Wang, Haiyong He, Siu Hon Tsang, Kazu Suenaga, Changli Yang, Li Lu, Ting Yu, Edwin Hang Tong Teo*, Guangtong Liu*, and Zheng Liu*
Nature Communications, 8, 394 (2017)
5. A novel Pd2Se3 two-dimensional phase driven by interlayer fusion in layered PdSe2
Junhao Lin*, Sebastian Zuluaga, Peng Yu, Zheng Liu, Sokrates T. Pantelides, and Kazu Suenaga*
Physical Review Letters, 119, 016101 (2017)
6. Metal–semiconductor Phase-transition in WSe2(1-x)Te2x Monolayer
Peng Yu†, Junhao Lin†, Linfeng Sun, Quang Luan Le, XuechaoYu, Guanhui Gao, Chuang-Han Hsu, Di Wu, Tay-Rong Chang, Qingsheng Zeng, Fucai Liu, Qi Jie Wang, Horng-Tay Jeng, Hsin Lin, Kazu Suenaga, Zheng Liu
Advanced Materials, 29, 1603991 (2017)
7. Direct observation of band structure modifications in nanocrystals of CsPbBr3 perovskite
Junhao Lin†*, Leyre Gómez†, Chris de Weerd, Yasufumi Fujiwara, Tom Gregorkiewicz*, and Kazu Suenaga
Nano Letters, 16, 7198 (2016)
8. Structural flexibility and alloying in ultrathin transition-metal chalcogenide nanowires
Junhao Lin*, Yuyang Zhang, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Wu Zhou*
ACS Nano, 10, 2782 (2016)
9. Vacancy-induced formation and growth of inversion domains in transition-metal dichalcogenide monolayer
Junhao Lin*, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Wu Zhou*
ACS Nano, 9, 5189 (2015)
10. Vertical and in-plane heterostructures from WS2/MoS2 monolayers
Yongji Gong†, Junhao Lin†, Xingli Wang†, Gang Shi, Sidong Lei, Zhong Lin, Xiaolong Zou, Gonglan Ye, Robert Vajtai, Boris I. Yakobson, Humberto Terrones, Mauricio Terrones, Beng Kang Tay, Jun Lou, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Zheng Liu, Wu Zhou, Pulickel M. Ajayan
Nature Materials, 13, 1135 (2014) （共同一作）
11. Flexible metallic nanowires with self-adaptive contacts to semiconducting transition-metal dichalcogenide monolayers
Junhao Lin†*, Ovidiu Cretu†, Wu Zhou*, Kazu Suenaga, Dhiraj Prasai, Kirill I. Bolotin, Nguyen Thanh Cuong, Minoru Otani, Susumu Okada, Andrew R. Lupini, Juan-Carlos Idrobo, Dave Caudel, Arnold Burger, Nirmal J. Ghimire, Jiaqiang Yan, David G. Mandrus, Stephen J. Pennycook, Sokrates T. Pantelides
Nature Nanotechnology, 9, 436 (2014)
12. AB/AC Stacking Boundaries in Bilayer Graphene
Junhao Lin, Wenjing Fang, Wu Zhou, Andrew R. Lupini, Juan Carlos Idrobo, Jing Kong, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Sokrates T. Pantelides
Nano Letters, 13, 3262 (2013)